Wires 101: The Ultimate Vape Wire Guide
This entry was posted on
Monday, April 10th, 2017 at
10:27 am and is filed
under Vaping Tips. You
can follow any responses to this entry
through the RSS 2.0
For rebuildable atomizers, wires are a few of the basic items that you should have in your arsenal. After your first coil turns black or melts down due to overuse, you will need to change it in order to maintain a good vaping experience.
Just like mods and atomizers, wires are made from different materials, and some are specially built for specific performance goals.
We will be discussing popular vape wire materials, and share a few points about specialty wires.
Here are the top 5 wire materials used for coil building
- Kanthal – Kanthal is the most popular wire for coil building, mainly because of its availability and its ease to build. It has just the right amount of resistance to easily build safe coils, making it an important part of a beginner’s vape arsenal. Although this isn’t the best cloud and flavor chasing wire, it’s still an amazing material to build with.
- Nichrome – Nichrome is the 2nd most popular vape wire. it gives out a bit more power than kanthal and heats up a bit faster. A lot of people are also giving props to nichrome since it is said to give out more flavor compared to kanthal. It has a lower resistance, and is for a much seasoned vaper since it isn’t as easy to wrap and build as kanthal.
- Nickel – Among all the wires on this list, nickel heats up the fastest and produces more clouds than the rest of our entries. It is very sensitive though and has a chance of melting if not sued properly. This wire is best for temperature control mods, since its naturally low resistance is not safe for unregulated mods.
- Titanium – Titanium is the most popular choice for temperature control lovers. It heats up and cools down pretty fast, making it a good choice for chain vapers. It also puts out a lot of flavor and clouds. This wire though, similar as nickel, is for advanced users, since it has a fairly low resistance. A good safety precaution for titanium wires is to use them exclusively on temp control mods.
- Stainless Steel – Stainless steel wires are made from food grade metal (the same material that is used for cookware and utensils). It is the ultimate wire for flavor and clouds. It performs better than the rest of the wires on this list, albeit not the most sought after due to its naturally hot vapor. Its resistance is fairly low although not as low as nickel, and it ramps up pretty fast.
Specialty wires are made from various wire materials, crafted for either cloud or flavor chasing.
The most popular specialty wires would be twisted and clapton wires. Most specialty wires are made using one, or both concepts.
Each wire is crafted using a different material, so we would recommend that you know how to build with more basic setups first before diving into this area.
Since coil building requires a bit of knowledge on vaping safety, we would recommend that you read our guide to vaping safety as well.